Monday, January 26, 2015

What board(s) do I ride?


So at the moment I got 2 boards.
The one on the left is a Lib Tech Travis Rive Pro model with Union Contact Pro bindings. This is a great all around board that for me works in almost any terrain. I mostly use it on big jumps, in the halfpipe, groomers and for off-piste riding. It's not really an off-piste board but to me it almost feels like it. It's got rocker between the inserts and camber from inserts to ti ad tail. I would say that the rocker part is kinda soft but the rest of the board is still kinda stiff so it doesn't feel like a complete noodle. A Noodle board would be Nitro Team Gullwing which feels like riding a board with a broken core trough the middle. Might be good for jibbing but whatever.
All in all I'm having a hard time finding anything negative to say about this board. It's my weapon of choice because of how well it works anywhere and in any conditions. Retails at around 559€

The board on the right is an old (2013) Ride Kink with Union Flite bindings. I got it in December because it was really cheap since it's an old model. If I got my facts right it's basically just the looks that have changed since then.
This board really surprised me. It's one of Rides cheapest and softest boards.
I've never owned a jib/rail board before but since I've started to enjoy that part of riding more and more I decided to give it a try.
It's true that it is a soft board but it's still easy to stay in control on nose and tail presses. It's a flat profile between contact points, but the contact points are raised up abit to make it less catchy.
Because it's flat in the middle I feel like it stays stable even when you push your weight onto the tail on nose. To confuse you even more I would say it's stiffer than you'd think but really soft when you want it to be. I just love it on jibs and rails and it holds up surprisingly well on carving turns.
It floats in powder better than you'd think but you will enjoy your pow alot more on some other board.
If you ride alot of rails in the park and hit up to medium sized jumps I would say this is the perfect board. I have to say that I am riding it in a wide size (abit stiffer), but if you look at the weight limits and get the right board this review should hold up.
Not a great board for a beginner in my opinion since the flat profile doesn't make turns for beginners any easier. So if you want a great board for the park this is alot of board for your money. Retails at 389€

I don't want to talk too much about the bindings since I feel is an area that alot of people feel differently about.
Union Contact Pro (to the left). It's true what they say about this binding on unions website. With less contact to the board you really feel alot more of the boards true flex. I really like this binding, it's abit more pricy. But at the same time might be the most comfortable binding I've ridden so far. Fit's like a glove. Retails at around 239€

Union Flite (to the right). If you are looking for a binding at a cheaper price range this is a great choice. I think union has one cheaper one but the Flight has a more quality feel to it. The footbed is completely flat and give a really stable feel. The only problem I have with this binding is that even if it is the same size as the Contact Pros it's abit more narrow, enough for my new boots not to fit the binding properly. This binding retails at only 149€. At this price range I would say it's a good binding.

I've been shopping at www.myboard.fi lately. Great outlet and good prices.
Get an extra 5% off with the the code LEVI at check out.

I hope you found this helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment